Monday, June 8, 2015

a pinteresting summer pt 1 (take 2)

(i had several paragraphs typed and paused to take pics to add. came back and everything was gone. so this is take 2.)

i can't believe it's been over 2 years since i've posted on this blog. well, i'm back, and it's going to be a pinteresting summer! i've been preparing for an upcoming kitchen reno, and by "preparing" i mean pinteresting to my heart's content. and then kept going. pinterest has become my go to for any and all ideas. my creative juices have never been more excessive than when my husband uttered the words, "no more projects until ------ is done". commence with the trips to lowes and jo-ann, drilling, painting, spray painting, measuring, stud finding, yard saling, wiring, etc. my pinterest-inspired ideas began lass than a year ago with...

pinterest sourcing:

my results at 2 am:

a few weekends ago, i found this gem:

so i made this:

i visited a used bookstore at which i had a $50 credit. (the credit only gets applied to half of your purchase total) edison lights are the best!

another weekend came around, and i needed some cheering. i took inspiration from:
and

and made:

i used a precut length of board from lowes, conduit clamps, and jelly-sized mason jars. my mother taught me long ago how to easily and cheaply stain wood: pick whatever color acrylic craft paint you wish, water it down a bit, use a rag to rub it into raw wood. bing! stained wood. no fumes, nearly no dry time. i used a pretty aqua blue, then aged it with a brown on the edges.

last weekend, i picked these up at a yard sale:

pinterest gave me this:
and this:

which gave birth to these cuties:


i also decided to remove the flourescent light fixture from my laundry closet. it hasn't worked in years because those tubes are a buggar to replace once they burn out. 1 1/2 hours later, and i had completed this:
she may not be much to look at, but she works!

the theme i'm going for in my home is rustic french. i have chosen my color scheme for our living area which is the main cube of our home consisting of the living room, dining room, and kitchen.
my choices:

luxury vinyl planking from shaw

cabinets in antique white from lilyanncabinets.com

a granite-look formica that is really nice. a blogger once said that she didn't live in a "granite counter top type of neighborhood", and i agree. putting a granite counter in our kitchen would blow our budget for the whole remodel out of the water. it would probably cost more than our flooring/cabinets/paint/backsplash combined.

our wall colors i've chosen are liquid blue and dover white from sherwin williams:

the antique white is for freshening up our existing beadboard and trims and perfectly matches the cabinet color.

upcoming projects i'm planning are:
i can not only remove the vanity from my bathroom, but use it to replace the hideola flourescent fixture in my kitchen. then, for the can lights over my tub, i can just add a chandelier halo instead of removing the whole fixture!


here are online credits for projects listed:


until next time,
morninglorykitsch









No comments: